Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Legos for the school = great discovery math

Last November, my husband found a great deal on small brick Legos.  He told me about it early one morning, but I never realized he bought a box, later I bought a box of 1400 Lego(the deal).  So we gave the kids a box of 1400 pieces for Christmas and I split the other with another mom. That left me with about 700 little Legos.  So Monday morning, I brought out the packs of little Legos for the class and we had a fun morning and afternoon with Legos! Not building Legos, but Legos for math! First, the students sorted piles of Legos by brick size, 1,2,4,6,and 8. After lunch, they came back and looked at all the bricks and decided which size we had most(4). Then I gave each a handful of our most size (4) and they sorted their pile by colors and stacking the color groups. We laid them all side by side and compared(looking and counting) which color we had most. Then we combined each student's color group to make a whole group of sorted stacked colors(4 size) . Quite a fun activity that engages the students in discovery math. By the end of the lesson, the students understood the meaning of more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment